Thursday, September 18, 2014

About this blog

I have been asked to create some articles for a friend’s blog. Unfortunately, I tend to be wordy and provide too much information so much of what I send him is not used. So I thought I would create this blog to post my long and windy talks on the subject of high calorie gardening.

There are several reasons I have picked this subject. One was I have seen so many people purchasing seed banks and thinking they had food security. Another was that I wanted to post more information than my friend can use on his preparedness blog. Finally with this blog I can post and then add or change information as I collect more or find better sources of tools and plant materials.

When preppers, survivalists, homesteaders, etc. talk about growing their own food they are really talking about a balance of fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and other required nutrients. When you look at most gardens you see a lot of great vegetable but they tend to be light on calorie count. This makes sense in America because at our present time carbohydrates tend to be some of the cheapest foods you can buy. Few of us can grow potatoes cheaper than we can purchase them for. The same goes for rice and wheat flour. So many people do not grow the high calorie cheap commodity plants unless they want a special type of potato, dent corn, etc. But if an extended SHTF scenario hits these cheap commodities may not be available. This is one reason people store food and purchase expensive seed banks. They are preparing for a true SHTF scenario.

High Calorie Gardening is not only about growing high calorie plant but harvesting, preserving, and storage. When you think about it the calories have no value until they are eaten. So I will talk about harvesting, preserving, and storage. You will also find that most of my posts are links. This is because many time there is already much good material written on the subject. So instead of rehashing it I just give you a link to the source.

We that sums it up. I know this will be just one of the many thousands of such blogs out there. If you are reading this I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts and I would like to encourage you to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment